Story of the Chapel
More than 140 years ago, on the site now occupied by Rood Lane, there was a building often referred to as The Old Sunday School. It was in this building, formerly used as a day school, that Rood Lane Sunday School had its beginning in 1859.
The four men responsible for the beginning were John Norris, John Hopkins, Thomas Hughes and Samuel Halliday. Because many children came from poor homes they were ill clad and so, at the annual prize giving, inexpensive garments such as socks, boots and shoes were given instead of books, as was the custom. This encouraged parents to send their children to Sunday School.
Some twenty-seven years later plans were prepared for the erection of a new building, for the Sunday School had grown so much that the existing building was too small. The land was purchased from the Shakerley family. While the new church was being built, meetings were held in a factory in Royle Street. On September 8th. 1886, foundation stones were laid bearing the names of the founders of this second building. Teachers and scholars laid sums of money in velvet bags on a small table.
The following year the Sunday School was housed in the new building, which is the present Chapel and Sunday School. The Sunday School met at 10am and at 2pm. At the afternoon session, as many as 365 scholars were present.
The Sunday School anniversaries were held first at Rood Lane, then at Wagg Street, then for several years at the Town Hall. At these services, as many as 100 children and 60 choir members, accompanied by a small orchestra, took part in the worship.
Due to declining numbers the Sunday School has now had to close, but the children that have been nurtured in the Christian Faith still continue in the church.